BCC Building

The internal and external refurbishment of the listed Bridge Community Centre Building and provision of a 2 storey extension for community use and lettable office space.

1890’s Grade B Listed, the former Lisburn Temperance Institute, is a terraced property situated on Railway St, on the periphery of the Lisburn Historic Quarter and Lisbrun City Centre.

The works comprised the internal and external refurbishment of the existing 3 storey BCC building and provision of a 2 storey extension providing accommodation for community use and lettable office space.

The new extension consisted of contractor designed piling solution, strip foundations, ground bearing floor slabs, load bearing brick cavity walls, isolated steel work, fire escape, lift, standing seam and built up roofing systems. 

Conservation and refurbishment works were carried out to the existing building some of which included repair works to existing brickwork, quoins, internal and external plaster, repair of existing windows, repair of internal and external doors, provision of new mechanical and electrical services, fit-out and decoration.

External works entailed connection to mains services and the extensive remodelling of the car park and entrance areas.

One of the main requirements of the client was the authentic repair of the existing sliding sash windows. The repairs were carried out in-house by McAleer & Teague’s joinery workshop removing the minimum amount necessary and replacing with like for like materials and design. Where this was not possible, detailed records were taken and new windows manufactured to these exacting standards.

Client: 
Lisburn City Council
Value: 
£1.5 million
Duration: 
28 weeks
Design: 
Kennedy FitzGerald & Associates