St Patrick’s Cathedral

Extensive repairs to the Grade A listed, pre-eminent Catholic Cathedral and Church in Armagh.

Work on the original Cathedral began in 1840 and was completed in 1873, incorporating a break of 5 years when works were suspended during the famine.

Surviving on a diet of maintenance and repair schemes, the Diocesan Committee recognised at the beginning of the century that the Grade A Listed Cathedral was in need of extensive repair. A detailed Conservation Plan developed by the design team formed the basis for the works for which McAleer & Teague were appointed as Main Contractor.

The works required the highest quality of workmanship in accordance with best practice in conservation. Some of the works included the replacement of roof coverings, restoration of natural stone work, upgrading stained glass windows, provision of disabled access, renewal / repair of tile mosaics, installation of new heating and electrical systems, landscaping and car parking.

The project benefited from Heritage Lottery Funding (HLF) with the remainder of the funding raised by the Archdiocese, largely from contributions from all the parishes of Armagh. McAleer & Teague worked closely with the Building Committee to provide regular updates on the progress of the refurbishment works to the parishioners.

The project demonstrated the highest standard in construction and the delivery of building and civil engineering work when it was awarded the ‘Construction Excellence Award’ for Restoration Projects in the £3m - £8m category.

Client: 
Diocesan Trustees, Archdiocese of Armagh
Value: 
£6 million
Duration: 
60 weeks
Design: 
Gregory Architects